The New York State Energy Planning Board was established to develop analyses and policy recommendations in order to reach energy needs in cost-effective, sustainable ways. The new directives will help residents and local energy providers like IDT Energy save money and minimize unnecessary energy consumption.
The Board is currently working to develop the 2013 New York State Energy Plan. According to their website, the objectives are to:
- Improve the reliability of the State’s energy systems
- Insulate consumers from volatility in market prices
- Reduce the overall cost of energy in the State
- Minimize public health and environmental impact, particularly those related to climate change
- Identify policies and programs designed to maximize cost-effective energy efficiency and conservation activities to meet projected demand growth